Matthew Darke SC
Commissions of Inquiry
Corporate Reconstruction & Insolvency
Matthew appears in and advises on a range of complex commercial (including intellectual property) and regulatory matters. He has significant experience in class actions and civil penalty proceedings.
He is recommended in Doyle’s Guide as a leading senior counsel in commercial litigation, included in the “Best Lawyers” list (published in the AFR) and listed by Chambers & Partners in their barrister rankings.
Matthew’s clients include Westpac, IOOF, KPMG, Qantas, Woolworths, the University of Sydney, and the ACCC.
Notable recent matters include:
- representing Westpac before the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry;
- appearing for DSHE Holdings (on instructions from its liquidators) in class action proceedings concerning the collapse of Dick Smith;
- appearing for Westpac in civil penalty proceedings brought by ASIC alleging manipulation of the BBSW;
- appearing for Australian Executor Trustees (an IOOF subsidiary) in class action proceedings concerning the collapse of Provident Capital;
- appearing for the University of Sydney in proceedings concerning alleged breaches of contract and copyright, and misuse of confidential information; and
- appearing for Reliance Rail in a contractual dispute concerning a substantial debt refinancing.
LLB (Hons 1) (University Medal; 1st in year) 1997 – Australian National University.
Matthew Darke is listed in Best Lawyers in Australia 2022 for his work in:
- Class Action Litigation