Matthew Darke SC
Commissions of Inquiry
Corporate Reconstruction & Insolvency
Matthew appears in and advises on a range of complex commercial (including intellectual property) and regulatory matters. He has significant experience in class actions and civil penalty proceedings.
He is recognised in Doyle’s Guide 2021 as Leading senior counsel in Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution, and is Recommended senior counsel in Insolvency & Restructuring. He is listed in Doyle’s Guide 2022 as Recommended senior counsel for Intellectual Property. Matthew has also been listed by Chambers & Partners in their barrister rankings for Asia-Pacific 2021. He is included in the Best Lawyers Australia 2023 list for Class Action Litigation, Insurance Law, Intellectual Property Law, and Litigation.
Matthew’s clients include Westpac, IOOF, KPMG, Qantas, Woolworths, the University of Sydney, and the ACCC.
Notable recent matters include:
- representing Westpac before the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry;
- appearing for DSHE Holdings (on instructions from its liquidators) in class action proceedings concerning the collapse of Dick Smith;
- appearing for Westpac in civil penalty proceedings brought by ASIC alleging manipulation of the BBSW;
- appearing for Australian Executor Trustees (an IOOF subsidiary) in class action proceedings concerning the collapse of Provident Capital;
- appearing for the University of Sydney in proceedings concerning alleged breaches of contract and copyright, and misuse of confidential information; and
- appearing for Reliance Rail in a contractual dispute concerning a substantial debt refinancing.
LLB (Hons 1) (University Medal; 1st in year) 1997 – Australian National University.
Matthew Darke is listed in Best Lawyers in Australia 2022 for his work in:
- Class Action Litigation